Okay seriously, let me show you how to make the BEST chickpea chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are simple, quick, easy, and delicious. These chickpea chocolate chip cookies have a good amount of protein because of the beans, and they are also gluten-free because they do not contain any flour. If you’ve never baked with chickpeas before, you are going to quickly see how super easy it is. Let’s get started.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Anyone who knows me knows I am a Cookie Monster. I seriously could eat cookies everyday. But I also value my health and am quite strict about what I put in my body.
That is why I love these Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies. For the most part, they are probably one of the healthiest cookies around.
In comparison to traditional cookies, these Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies are high in protein because they are made with beans and peanut butter instead of dairy butter and eggs.
This Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe also calls for pure maple syrup rather than white cane sugar, so the sweetness is coming from a more natural, less processed, source.
These Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies are also higher in fiber than more traditional cookies because of the beans.
health benefits of Chickpeas
According to Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, The Nutrition Source, here are a few health benefits from eating chickpeas.
- Chickpeas contain a resistant starch called amylose which helps to regulate blood sugar. It slows down the spike of glucose and insulin. Therefore consuming chickpeas can be helpful for those managing diabetes.
- Chickpeas contain soluble fiber which can be helpful for our gut and digestion, as well as decrease intestinal inflammation.
- Because chickpeas are high in fiber they can more readily provide a sense of satiety and a feeling of fullness, thus potentially helping with weight management.
- Chickpeas help to lower blood cholesterol levels, and are therefore considered a heart healthy food.
When I scoop out this Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookie dough, I use a small scoop to keep them bite sized. You can also use a spoon to scoop out the dough.
If you do want to make them larger, you will want to cook them a few minutes longer so that they cook evenly and thoroughly.
notes about the recipe:
To prevent feeling gassy, rinse the chickpeas thoroughly before blending them into the cookie dough.
I use organic creamy peanut butter, and I look to make sure there is only one, maybe two, ingredients; peanuts and a touch of sea salt, nothing else. You do not need peanut butter to contain extra oils and sugar. I promise you will quickly learn to love plain peanut butter with no additional ingredients.
You can use almond butter or any other kind of nut or seed butter if you are either allergic to peanuts or do not like peanut butter. I personally think these Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies would taste great using macadamia nut butter. Yum!
Look for maple syrup that is pure with no added ingredients. Some cheaper brands contain more oil, butter and sugar than they do maple syrup. There is absolutely no need for this, and it is terrible for your health.
You can also use honey, brown rice syrup, or any other natural sweetener of your choice if you do not like maple syrup, or if you prefer a different sweetener.
handy kitchen tools for this recipe:
- food processor – here is the food processor I use for a lot of my blending.
- baking pan
- unbleached parchment paper
- small cookie scoop – optional but I like to use a scoop to make the cookies perfectly round and uniform
- cooling rack
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- cooling rack
- glass storage container
Chickpea chocolate chip cookie ingredients:
- Chickpeas – a great source of protein and fiber. Did you know these beans are also called garbanzo beans?
- Peanut butter – a great source of protein and healthy fat
- Pure maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract – preferably without alcohol
- Baking powder – preferably aluminum free
- Sea salt
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
optional ingredients you might want to consider:
- raisins, dried cranberries, cherries, or any other dried fruit – use in replace of chocolate chips
- chopped walnuts, pecans, or any other nut of your choice
- In lieu of chocolate chips, consider replacing them with a few nuts AND dried fruit. A different kind of cookie but oh so delicious!
Chickpea chocolate chip cookie preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
Rinse chickpeas until they are no longer foamy, and water runs clear.
Chickpea chocolate chip cookie directions:
In a food processor, blend all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Blend until smooth and creamy.
With a spatula, or a wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips.
Scoop out roughly 2Tb of cookie dough, per cookie (I use a small ice cream scoop), and place them evenly apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Flatten each cookie slightly using either a fork or the back of a spoon (I like to use a fork and make a criss-cross like a traditional peanut butter cookie).
Place cookies in the oven, and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool for approximately 5-10 minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
Once cooled, for preservation, place cookies in a glass storage container in the fridge. Cookies will last 6-7 days.
how to store:
For a more chilled and chewier texture, I like to store these Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies in a glass storage container in the fridge. You can also store them in the freezer and pull out a few as you desire. The small size helps them to defrost quickly.
consider making this delicious green tea matcha latte to go with your chickpea chocolate chip cookies
If you make these Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies, I would love if you give it 5 stars, and please comment below.
You can also follow me, and my life on Cape Cod, on my Instagram page @dawndunkin
Never Miss A Post! Get Recipes Straight To Your Inbox.
Video: Step by step directions on how to make Chickpea Chocolate Chip Cookies
printable recipe for you to enjoy:
How To Make The BEST Chickpea Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup chickpeas aka garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Rinse chickpeas until they are no longer frothy and the water runs clear.
- In a food processor, blend all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- With a spatula or a wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out roughly 2Tb of dough per cookie (I use a small ice cream scoop), and place evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each cookie slightly using either a fork or the back of a spoon (I like to use a fork and make a criss-cross like a traditional peanut butter cookie).
- Place cookies in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for approximately 5-10 minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
- Once cooled, for preservation, place cookies in a glass storage container in the fridge. Cookies will last 5-7 days.